TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – Today, VISIT FLORIDA highlighted a successful year for Florida’s tourism industry and the state’s continued economic recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic. Throughout 2021, VISIT FLORIDA executed several marketing campaigns that delivered visitation and revenue for communities across the Sunshine State.
“Florida tourism’s recovery grew by leaps and bounds in 2021 as a result of VISIT FLORIDA’s highly successful marketing campaigns,” said VISIT FLORIDA President and CEO Dana Young. Governor DeSantis’ support and leadership have been crucial for these gains, and we sincerely appreciate everything he does on behalf of our tourism economy. Looking ahead to 2022, VISIT FLORIDA will only be hitting the accelerator as we continue to drive results for every Florida job, business, and taxpayer.”
- VISIT FLORIDA ran a nationwide campaign promoting travel to Florida during the 2020-21 winter season, and expanded the typical Northeast U.S. targeting to include California, Oregon, and Washington in an effort to capture potential travelers desperate for sunshine and freedom. The campaign resulted in an ROAS (return on ad spend) of $311:1 on Expedia.
- Florida’s Office of Economic & Demographic Research calculated that for every $1 invested in VISIT FLORIDA, $3.27 is returned to taxpayers – VISIT FLORIDA’s highest ROI ever.
- As of 2021, all of Florida’s Destination Marketing Organizations (DMOs) are now VISIT FLORIDA partners.
- In Q2, Florida welcomed a total of 31.7 million travelers to the state, representing more than a 220 percent increase from 2020, and a 6 percent increase in domestic visitation from 2019.
- In Q3 2021, Florida welcomed a total of 32.5 million travelers to the state, marking the first time overall visitation has exceeded pre-pandemic levels. It also marks the second consecutive quarter of growth in domestic visitation, with a 7 percent increase in domestic travelers in Q3 from the same period in 2019.
- VISIT FLORIDA created, produced, and distributed “Wanderlust,” a Florida docuseries in partnership with The Weather Network and Air Canada. The series aired on The Weather Network during winter as Canadians were stuck inside.
- VISIT FLORIDA hosted Virtual Florida Huddle, the organization’s first large-scale, virtual, global trade show.
- VISIT FLORIDA met with Partners in Mexico City, marking its first mission trip abroad since the beginning of the pandemic last year.
- VISIT FLORIDA expanded its COVID rebound efforts with a Families focused campaign to increase the desirability of a Florida vacation and capture those who are ready to travel now. The campaign was extremely successful, with the Expedia portion resulting in an ROAS (return on ad spend) of 432:1.
- VISIT FLORIDA conducted several successful campaigns with AAA Northeast, American Airlines, American Airline Vacations, Allegiant Airlines, and United Airlines. The campaigns overperformed by over 47 percent, with the United portion alone resulting in an ROAS (return on ad spend) of 20:1.
- Earlier this year, VISIT FLORIDA was awarded $5 million in CARES Act grant funding by the Economic Development Administration (EDA), 100% of which is being used to assist our DMO partners throughout the state with VISIT FLORIDA’s largest co-operative advertising effort ever. The in-state portion, which ran October 4 through November 28, focused on state pride. The national portion, running from November 29 through April 3, continues the momentum of the Power of Vacation messaging.
- Aligned with the reopening of international travel to the U.S., VISIT FLORIDA executed successful marketing campaigns throughout Latin America (Mexico, Colombia, Argentina, Chile, Brazil), the U.K., Germany, and Canada.
- For the first time ever, VISIT FLORIDA and a delegation of executive leadership from six Florida DMOs – Discover the Palm Beaches, Experience Kissimmee, Greater Miami CVB, Visit Orlando, Visit St. Pete/Clearwater and Visit Tampa Bay – traveled to Colombia to help bolster visitation from this crucially important international market.
- To kick off the holiday shopping season a few weeks ago, VISIT FLORIDA launched the Gift of Florida campaign. Running on Expedia through December 24, the campaign inspires people to choose Florida vacation experiences over material items in their gift-giving. Florida is a top winter destination, and with ongoing retail supply chain issues, this effort will fortify Florida’s hotels, vacation packages, and other offerings as the perfect holiday gift.