Today, VISIT FLORIDA announced the strongest international visitation numbers Florida has seen since 2019. According to new estimates from VISIT FLORIDA, international visitors have dramatically increased travel to Florida. Calendar Year 2023 (Q1 + Q2) saw massive increases in overseas (+21.8%) and Canadian (+81.1%) visitation compared to the same time period in 2022. Florida welcomed a total of 33.1 million visitors between April and June 2023, with 1.9 million of those being overseas visitors and 846,000 Canadian visitors. Florida also continues to beat records with annual visitation with 70.8 million visitors in Calendar year 2023.
“VISIT FLORIDA has been laser-focused on building our key international markets and ensuring the return of international visitors to Florida and that work has paid off,” said Dana Young, VISIT FLORIDA President & CEO. “While other states have finally opened their doors to domestic visitors and created more competition, Florida is again leading in international visitors. Florida has the largest share of international visitors ahead of New York and California and we lead the nation in overseas arrival recovery compared to 2019."
Highlights from VISIT FLORIDA's latest visitation estimates include:
• For the first two quarters of 2023, Florida saw massive increases in overseas and Canadian visitation, up 21.8 percent and 81.1 percent respectively while domestic visitation saw a small drop of 1.1% during the same period.
• Total Visitation for Calendar Year 2023 reached 70.8 million, an increase of 1.3 percent over the first six months of 2022 and 4.5 percent above 2019 pre-pandemic levels.
• For Q2 2023, Florida still saw significant quarterly increases with overseas visitation up 11 percent and Canadian visitation up 20.8 percent over Q2 2022. Domestic visitation was 4.6 percent above Q2 2019.
• Preliminary estimates indicate that 33.1 million total visitors traveled to Florida in the second quarter of 2023, an increase of 2.6 percent from Q2 2019.
• Q2 2023 visitation is estimated at 30.3 million domestic visitors, 1.9 million international visitors, and 846,000 Canadian visitors.
• Domestic visitors accounted for 91.6 percent of visitors in Q2 2023, while overseas visitors were 5.9 percent and Canadian visitors were 2.6 percent.
• Preliminary data shows that for the second year in a row, Florida leads the nation with largest market share of overseas visitors in 2022, which is only the second time ever that any state has had a larger share than New York.
Additionally, Florida is leading the nation in recovering the number of overseas travelers that visit Florida post pandemic with an 80% recovery rate in comparison to 2019 numbers, while New York follows behind at 75% and California at 68%. The national rate for overseas arrival also trails Florida at 73%.
About VISIT FLORIDA
VISIT FLORIDA is the Sunshine State’s official tourism marketing corporation and travel planning resource for visitors across the globe. As Florida’s No. 1 industry, tourism was responsible for welcoming over 137.4 million visitors in 2022, the highest number of visitors in the state’s history. VISIT FLORIDA promotes tourism through sales, advertising, promotions, public relations, and visitor services programs, and works with travel industry partners throughout the state. To learn more about VISIT FLORIDA, follow @FloridaTourism on Facebook and Twitter, or go to visitflorida.org
About Vox International
VoX International is a Canadian-owned destination marketing firm based in Toronto, Canada with offices in Vancouver and Montreal, providing Canadian representation nationally. VoX is a full-service sale, marketing, event planning and public relations agency led by a team of high profile, knowledgeable travel industry executives. Recognized as a marketplace leader, VoX offers a wide range of support within the North American meeting, incentive, events, and hospitality and leisure tourism sectors. VoX’s passion for providing personal, innovative and results driven solutions are key factors for driving the company’s reputation for success.
Senior Public Relations Manager
VISIT FLORIDA – Canada
416-935-1896 ext. 242